Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Groin Pull


Since I am having some issues with a groin pain, I am writing an article about this injury. In my case, I started having some groin pain due to my work. Well, it is not something that I am doing for a living at moment, but I am just doing a favor for a friend. I have to stand on a ladder for a long time as on my knees where my feet are not always in the proper position.
The groin pain is caused by tensing up the inner thigh muscle or the abductor muscle. The abductor muscle is involved with turning the toe in, which is something you normally do when you run. If you turn you toe in, you can feel the movement in the abductor muscle. By overworking that muscle, it can become tense and painful.

If your feet are not balanced properly, this muscle tense up. If there is not enough lateral movement of the heel and ankle, the abductor muscle tightens up to help balance the body. The answer to this problem is to help the ankles and heels turns out by putting a wedge under the inner side of the heel. With this artificial eversion, the heels turns out the way it is supposed to, there is no special strain on the thigh muscles.
Don’t wear shoes with a very flared heel, or that is a lot wider at the bottom. The wide base may restrain the lateral movement of the heel and  ankle.


Treatment

Cut down on your running  or stop running for seven to ten days.
When the pain has subsided, do some stretching  and strengthening exercises.

After days of doing the exercises you can start running gently.
Keep up the exercises and increase your mileage gradually.

If the pain persists, take a few days off from running.

Continue your exercises.                             

Then try running again.

If your groin pain doesn’t get better, you may have to go to a podiatrist for orthotics.

Source: The Runner's Repair Manual by Dr. Murray F. Weisenfeld with Barbara Burr

No comments:

Post a Comment